STRONA GŁÓWNA OGŁOSZENIA INTENCJE MSZALNE MAPA DOJAZDU KONTAKT HISTORIA KOŚCIOŁA HISTORIA PARAFII HISTORY - EN. VERSION GESCHICHTE - DE. FASSUNG KS.M.KUTZNER MAREK LISIAK











The Roman-Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland
History


A former Lutheran chapel and now a Catholic church, it is the oldest entirely preserved building in Ostrow.

Franciszek Bieliński, the proprietor of Ostrow in the XVIII century, made it possible for the population of the Lutheran denomination to settle down in the town. They constituted fifty percent of the towns inhabitants.

1776
Prince Michał Hieronim Radziwiłł, the next proprietor of the town, granted his permission to the local Lutheran community to build a chapel.

12th August 1777
The cornerstone for the chapel was laid.

13th June 1778
Samuel Stark, a carpenter, placed a spire on the wooden steeple of the chapel.

2nd October 1778
The Lutheran chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity was consecrated. Erasmus Benjamin Hellwig from Leszno became the first pastor.

1786
An organ removed from another chapel was installed.

Until 1806
The churchyard was used as a Lutheran cemetery.

1829
A rectory was built.

1855-1857
A new solid brick-tower was built.

1940
Numerous interior alterations were made inside the chapel.

Until 1945
The chapel belonged to the Lutheran community.

26th July 1945
The Lutheran chapel, abandoned by the Lutherans who left Ostrow, was passed on to the Catholic parish of Saint Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr.

4th December 1945
The chapel was consecrated as a Roman Catholic church and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland.

1945 - 1959
The building functioned as a branch of Saint Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr parish church.

Until 1948
Masses were said for the soldiers of the Ostrow garrison.

3rd May 1959
Archbishop Antoni Baraniak created a parochial religious centre and Father Mieczysław Kutzner, a curate from the parish of Saint Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr was appointed its first director.

2nd May 1969
The church was entered in the Poznan Province register of listed buildings.

1st June 1974
The parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland was established with the decree of archbishop Antoni Baraniak. Father Mieczysław Kutzner was appointed its first pastor.

1st July 1991
Father Michał Milewski took over as the next pastor.



Translated by Wiesława Płonczak-Gajewy
Consultation ks. dr Jacek Stefański